Thursday 22 September 2011

Melanie in Maintenanceland... or... Having your cake and eating it too!

Well hello there people! Sorry I've taken a while to update the end of my Cohen's Diet Journey - refeed technically finished on Saturday but I've been extremely busy. :)

What a journey it has been. I've learnt a lot along the way, I feel a lot like Alice in Wonderland, falling down the rabbit hole and having a big adventure. All I can say is I will never be the same again. The last few days have been a steep learning curve. I relaxed a lot over the weekend with Mum and Dad visiting and drank 5(?) glasses of wine on my last day of refeed and snacked through the day on Cohen's friendly food. My first day of maintenance I again had about 5 glasses of wine, bacon for breakfast, a banquet for dinner and chocolate for dessert. Needless to say I gained about 1.4 kg for my efforts.

We are taught that we should be able to enjoy ourselves like that occasionally and that we can do a 'carb reset' where we don't eat carbs for 2 days and the weight should come off again. I tried to do that on Monday and Tuesday of this week but on Monday, despite eating no carbs, I ate too much food in general and an awful lot of fruit (a natural carb) and Tuesday (yesterday) I ate cake!! Ha ha, easier said than done, but the cake was divine. What I learned is that I can have my cake and eat it too - on Monday when I ate too much food but no carbs, I stayed the same weight. Tuesday I ate 2 pieces of bread, a nut bar and a piece of cake and lost weight because I didn't snack and followed my maintenance rules on how to eat cake without it causing a big blood sugar crash. So today I have decided to relax. I think, as long as I don't start munching on food all day and have clear breaks between my meals, I will be fine. I am not the same person I used to be - I choose differently now. Even though I ate cake yesterday, I ate only fruit at the big morning tea that the cake came from. There were about 10 cakes and all sorts of other various sugary foods and I ate fruit. I had some cake in the afternoon, but the old me would have tried a few small bits of several cakes in the morning and snacked on the leftover cake all afternoon. Because I had cake after lunch, I also politely declined a kahlua and milk and a chocolate brownie in the evening. Previously I would not have said no to any of it.

I am off to France on Friday. Very excited and a tad apprehensive about not being in control of the food that is available to me. I'm also a little scared about how often I'll be able to choose wisely and how all the wine/cheese discussion classes will affect my weight - we all know I don't have a huge chance of saying no to them!!! But I know that I will enjoy myself and try to be good at the same time. I've come too far to undo it all now.
 
Wish me luck!! And thank you again for all of your support.
 
M. x
 
PS - Since I have achieved what I set out to do in this blog, I am removing everyone from the automatic email list. I will update again from time to time so feel free to check in, and by all means, if you want to stay on the list let me know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment